Thursday, May 28, 2020

What Free Grace Books Don't Teach the "Crossless" or "Groundless" Gospels?


Some time ago I received an email asking if I could recommend any books in relation to Free Grace Theology that don't teach the crossless or groundless gospels? The actual question was: "What books in relation to Free Grace Theology don't teach the crossless or groundless gospels?" I was able to give my recommendations, and then I thought that others might have the same question. So here are some of my thoughts on what Free Grace books don't teach the "crossless" or "groundless" gospels.
    
The Bible is of course the number one source of Free Grace Theology! In Romans 3:24 the apostle Paul  makes it clear that we are "justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus". You might be wondering, "What version of the Bible should I use?" Personally, I like the New American Standard Bible (NASB). I believe this was also the translation preferred by Dr. Charles Ryrie. Besides the Bible, some other good Free Grace books that I can recommend are ones that are authored by men such as: D. L. Moody, C. I. Scofield, William R. Newell, H. A. Ironside, Lewis Sperry Chafer, J. Vernon McGee, Charles Ryrie, J. Dwight Pentecost, Warren Wiersbe, David Jeremiah, Chuck Swindoll, Roy B. Zuck, John Walvoord, Norman Geisler, Charlie Bing, — there's more but that's probably enough to get you started.
    
Let me just add one more thought; it should be obvious but let me just mention it for those who might say something like: "So-and-so doesn't agree with you on such and such." I'm not saying that I agree with these men on every single point of doctrine. They don't even agree with each other on every point of doctrine, by the way! For example, I remember listening to Dr. J. Vernon McGee on the radio one time and he was explaining his understanding of Hebrews 6:4-9. McGee mentioned the notes in The Scofield Reference Bible and said that he didn't agree with Scofield's interpretation. Here's what McGee said: "Well, personally I cannot accept this. This was the viewpoint of Matthew Henry. It was the viewpoint of Grant, and Darby, and Dr. C. I. Scofield in his reference Bible, and I certainly recommend that Bible. But I don't think the notes are inspired, and I do not accept that interpretation." Obviously these men's writings aren't inspired. But they have written some very helpful books and I generally recommend them and generally agree with them. The brand of Free Grace promoted by these men is what's called "traditional Free Grace Theology".

No comments: