Saturday, December 22, 2018

D. L. Moody on the Doctrine of Election


“Do not stumble at the doctrine of election. Preach the gospel to all, and (as some one has said) if you convert any one who was not ‘chosen,’ God will forgive you.”1 —D. L. Moody

“‘The elect’ are the ‘whosoever will’s’: the ‘non-elect’ are the ‘whosoever wont’s’.”2 —D. L. Moody
 
There is also an interesting dialogue between D. L. Moody and Rev. Marcus Rainsford on the topic of divine election:
“Mr. M. -- Suppose a man say he is not ‘elected?’ 
Mr. R. -- Do you remember the story of the woman of Canaan? Poor soul; she had come a long journey. She asked the Lord to have mercy on her afflicted child. He wanted to try her faith, and He said: ‘I am not sent but to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.’ [Matthew 15:24.] That looked as if He Himself told her that she was not one of the elect. But she came and worshipped Him, saying, ‘Lord, help me!’ and He helped her there and then. No; there is no election separating between the sinner and Christ.
Mr. M. -- Say that again.
Mr. R. -- THERE IS NO ELECTION SEPARATING BETWEEN THE SINNER AND CHRIST.
Mr. M. -- What is there between the sinner and Christ?
Mr. R. -- Mercy!! Mercy!! 
Mr. M. -- That brings me near to Christ.
Mr. R. -- So near that we cannot be nearer. But we must claim it. In John [6:39-40] we get God's teaching about election. ‘This is the Father’s will which hath sent Me, that of all which He hath given Me I should lose nothing; but should raise it up again at the last day.’  He will do his work, you may depend upon it. Then in the next verse we read: ‘And this is the will of Him that sent Me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on Him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.’ That is the part I am to take: and when I have done so I shall know the Father’s will concerning me.”3


ENDNOTES:

1 D. L. Moody, Notes from My Bible, p. 167.

2 D. L. Moody, Notes from My Bible, p. 108.

3 D. L. Moody, Sovereign Grace, pp. 117-118, emphasis his.

No comments: