Friday, October 1, 2010

Fishers of Men, Part 1

 by Peter Hann

"Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men" were the words spoken by Jesus to Simon Peter and his brother Andrew in Matthew 4:19. In today's society we really do need Christians to cast out that fishing line of the gospel of Jesus Christ to lost friends, family, and anyone off the street – and the world for that matter.

Recently I went on a trip driving from my home in the Milwaukee, Wisconsin area to visit my aunt and uncle near the Lexington, Kentucky area. On the way there and back I handed out gospel tracts to the clerks in the toll booths on the toll roads and also whenever I would go through the drive-thru at a fast food place. When I gave a Million Dollar Bill tract to a clerk at a toll booth on the Illinois Tri-State Tollway he asked me if I had any Chick tracts. I didn't have any with me but that was a real encouragement to me to keep going through those toll booths in the future and giving out more tracts. I do enjoy reading the comic illustrations in the Chick tracts, and I'm sure the believers in the Lord for Chick Publications have the right heart and right motives behind writing their tracts, but my only concern for Chick is a little more clarity of the gospel. Otherwise, like I said, I do enjoy their comic illustrations. A lot of them are very creative.

My personal favorite gospel tract is the "May I Ask You a Question?" tract by Evantell. They do have a sinner's prayer on there, but they make the gospel message very clear that it's simple faith in Jesus Christ alone that saves a human being from Hell's flames.

So never be afraid to share the gospel of Christ with anyone: making yourself like Jesus said, a fisher of men. 

Continue on to "Fishers of Men, Part 2".

No comments: