Monday, February 3, 2014

Sharing the Gospel on Crosstalk Radio

Recently my friend Peter had a desire to share the gospel on the radio in order to encourage Christians to keep sharing Jesus with the lost because "the time is short" (1 Corinthians 7:29, NKJV) and the Rapture "is near" (Revelation 1:3, cf. 22:20). Specifically, Peter wanted to share a comment on VCY Christian radio - on a program called Crosstalk, which is "a nationwide call-in program discussing issues that have an effect on our families, our communities, our churches, our nation, and our world." Crosstalk provides an opportunity for people to call-in and voice their concerns for biblical principles.

Since Peter wasn't able to personally call-in to Crosstalk because of his work schedule, he asked me if I'd be able to help him get his comment on the air. I was excited about the opportunity, and so we decided to team up (see Ecclesiastes 4:9) in order to share the gospel on Crosstalk.

Our plan was simple. Peter would write down a short comment on paper and I would call-in to Crosstalk and read it on the radio. We prayed for the Lord's guidance and decided on the exact wording of the comment to be read.

The Lord answered our prayers in an amazing and mighty way - "far more abundantly" (Ephesians 3:20, ESV) than we thought! For instance, we didn't know this ahead of time, but come to find out, the day I called-in to Crosstalk the topic of discussion was about the upcoming Creation vs. Evolution debate between Dr. Ken Ham of Answers in Genesis and Bill Nye "The Science Guy". (More information on this debate is available at www.debatelive.org.) To illustrate the importance of this debate, my pastor said it's probably going to be the biggest Creation-Evolution debate since the Scopes Trial of 1925! So I was calling-in to Crosstalk on the very day they "just so happened" to be discussing one of the most important debates in the last 100 years! This Crosstalk program turned out to be the most popular Crosstalk program of the week and could possibly be the most popular one of the entire year! Of course, none of this happened by accident! God was working behind the scenes to bring it all together according to His plan. The Bible says, "The mind of man plans his way, but the LORD directs his steps" (Proverbs 16:9).

As I waited to share my comment on the radio, I listened with interest as Jim Schneider of Crosstalk interviewed Dr. Ken Ham of Answers in Genesis. Dr. Ken Ham spoke about the upcoming debate and made two statements about the gospel that I thought were really good. He said:

"I stand on the authority of God's Word and proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ."

"We want our [human] family to hear the gospel and be saved."

After the interview with Dr. Ken Ham, Jim Schneider interviewed another creation scientist named Dr. Danny Faulkner. It was during this second interview that Jim opened up the phone lines for people to call-in and voice their comments. (Peter had told me beforehand to call-in right away after they opened up the phone lines so that I would be sure to get on the air.) So I quickly dialed the toll-free number and it wasn't long before I was on the air! Here is the transcript of the comment I shared on the radio:

Jim Schneider: "Jonathan in Greenfield, you're on the air."

Jonathan Perreault: "Thanks for taking my call. I just wanted to share an encouragement, because I think one thing we need to keep in mind as a church is that no matter what's going on in our society that the Rapture could happen at any moment and we just need to keep sharing Jesus Christ with the lost, in particular that He died for our sins, that He was buried, raised on the third day, and He appeared to His twelve disciples - like the Bible says in First Corinthians 15 verses 3-5. Like Ken Ham was saying too, we want our human family to hear the gospel and be saved. And I'm just gonna be praying for him, and for the debate, in that regard."

Jim Schneider: "Thank you so much."

Almost immediately after I got off the radio my phone rang. It was my friend Jerry from church calling to tell me he just heard me on Crosstalk! I hadn't even told him I'd be on the radio so it was really encouraging to know that my comment had been heard and was already "bear[ing] fruit for God" (Romans 7:4b).

The gospel message that was shared on the radio continues to "bear much fruit" (John 15:5, 8) to the glory of God. "Not to us, O LORD, not to us, but to Your name give glory, because of Your lovingkindness, because of Your truth" (Psalm 115:1). Peter pointed out to me some of the positive ripple effects of sharing the gospel over the radio:

1. The radio can spread the gospel farther.
2. The radio multiplies the effect of one's witness.
3. The radio gives an opportunity for more people to hear.

For more information on the "Creation vs. Evolution Debate" Crosstalk program, please click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment